Turn today’s criticism into tomorrow’s success. Build the self-confidence to thrive in a tough, competitive industry. Develop the work habits that turn good to great. Make mental toughness your competitive edge today.
Is low-self confidence holding you back? Are the rejection slips getting too much? Are you struggling with criticism and self-doubt? Are you suffering from writer’s block? Or do you simply want to develop your full potential and maximise your chances of having a long, successful writing career?
Writing is a mind game and this online course will teach you how to win the inner game.
Writers, like other creatives, are typically sensitive people – we have to be to be good at what we do. But while sensitivity is an asset when it comes to understanding and communicating emotion and character, it can pose significant challenges when dealing with the harsh commercial realities of the writing business.
The commercial world is a tough place, and the road to success for most of us is fraught with setbacks and detours. We all know people whose dreams don’t survive that journey, people whose stories never see the light of day. Many are gifted writers, but without the psychological strength to get out there and make things happen, it all just becomes too hard.
Don’t die with your untold stories still in you! The right performance psychology is no guarantee of success, but it will give you the mental strength to go the distance and see the journey through.
Give your dreams a chance. Who knows where they might lead?
The Peak Performance Psychology for Writers course is an online program that will teach you how to build the psychological strengths that drive high performance. The psychological drivers of high performance are no mystery: Research has shown that a set of core strengths underpins performance in a range of domains including sport, the arts, public performance, even surgery.
The course is designed to run over twenty weeks, with a new module released every fortnight, but you can work at your own pace – you’ll receive a new module when you send through your submission for the previous one.
What will you get?
- Comprehensive, up-to-date information about each of the crucial, psychological drivers of success, tailored specifically to the needs of writers.
- Evidence-based self-help approaches grounded in the latest psychological research so you can build real bench strength in each key area.
- Where available, validated measures that you can use to see how you’re tracking.
- The tools to develop a personalised peak performance plan tailored specifically to your needs.
- Blog questions at the end of each module so you can reflect on the content and keep me up to date with your progress and peak performance planning.
- Personal feedback from me on all (private) blog submissions – encouragement, support and extra insight as you develop and implement your peak performance plan.
- Access to supplementary resources – videos, audio files and recommended reading.
Each module tackles a specific set of psychological skills that research has shown improves achievement outcomes, all tailored to the specific needs of writers.
- Mental toughness, hardiness and resilience
- Coping with setbacks, criticism and rejection
- Motivation and goals
- Behavioural modification planning – initiating changes that will maximise your chances of success
- Work habits
- Locus of control, realistic expectations and circles of influence
- Cognition that drives success
- Stress and recovery
- Ability to adapt to change
Don’t let fear hold you back. Fulfil your potential!
Peak Performance Psychology for Writers launches on 18 September 2015. Sign up today for a 20% Early Bird Discount.
Enter peakperformingwriter into the promo code box on the check out page (it will show the full price until you're ready to check out) to claim your discount. Offer expires at 9am on 19 September 2015 AEST.
Testimonials and research
The difference this peak performance psychology program makes to participants has been scientifically measured in a study run at the Australian National University. Statistical analysis of pre- and post-program scores on a range of validated psychometric measures showed improvements on all peak performance factors. Overall peak performance psychology improved significantly, with an large effect size (r = 0.66)
Participants had much higher self-confidence at the end of the program (r = 0.49), much better work habits (r = 0.42), and a significantly improved ability to cope with setbacks (r = 0.38).
Read participant testimonials here.
Sign up to receive news and tips
We respect your privacy. Your details will not be shared with anyone for any reason.
Contact my Course Administrator.
p: 61 2 6259 9289
Office Hours: 8:30 - 5:30 Australian Eastern Standard Time.
Qualifications & Memberships
M.Phil. (Psych. ANU)
Graduate Teaching Programme (Adult Ed. ANU)
Grad. Dip. App. Fin. (Kaplan Professional)
Grad. Dip. Psych. (UC)
B.A. (1st Class Hons. Psych. ANU)
Full Member, Australian Psychological Society
Member, ACT Writers Centre
Accredited Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Practitioner
Accredited practitioner for the full suite of SHL occupational instruments (eg. OPQ, Verify)
Accredited Lominger Voices Capability Framework and 360 Degree Feedback Report Practitioner.
Accredited Full Circle 360 Degree Feedback Practitioner.